Women who shaped UWL history

Take the quiz to see how many women from UWL history and related campus buildings you know

UW-La Crosse’s history is filled with influential women who served as educators, mentors and leaders. Some of these women have even had campus buildings throughout history named after them. Take this quiz to see if you know the names of just a few of these influential women.

UWL student intern Michele Friesema created this quiz with photos and historic information from UWL Murphy Library Special Collections.

Who is this hall named after?

Images courtesy of Murphy Library Special Collections
Correct! Wrong!

Rena Angell was the first art teacher at the Normal School and head of the Drawing Department. She taught a wide range of classes including drawing, art appreciation, industrial art and rural handicrafts between 1912-1951.

Who is this hall named after?

Images courtesy of Murphy Library Special Collections
Correct! Wrong!

Myrtle Trowbridge, a history professor on campus from 1918-1954, had a special connection with students. More than 12 years of letters written to her from soldiers all over the world are archived in the Murphy Library’s Special Collections. Trowbridge traveled extensively and used observations to supplement her classes. She was instrumental in organizing faculty senates that are now on all UW campuses. She created “The Trowbridge Award,” a scholarship for young men with a rural background. Trowbridge died Jan. 15, 1968.

Who is this hall named after?

Images courtesy of Murphy Library Special Collections
Correct! Wrong!

Florence Wing was the first La Crosse Normal School librarian, and also served as head librarian from 1909-51, an incredible 42 years. She helped plan the new library that bore her name.

Who is this hall named after?

Images courtesy of Murphy Library Special Collections
Correct! Wrong!

Betty Baird followed her sister, Beatrice, to UWL in 1947 to teach physical education. Betty was called “one of the most outstanding women’s swimming and diving instructors La Crosse State ever had.” She advised the Catalina Club and Tumbling Club, and was a member of the La Crosse State College Foundation Board of Directors. Poor health forced her to retire in March 1963. She died July 18, 1963. Beatrice taught physical education from 1946-1974. She was the first elected chair of the Department of Physical Education for Women in 1967, but chose to return to teaching after three years. Along with supervising student teachers, Beatrice led field hockey, basketball and recreation initiatives. Beatrice died Feb. 22, 1989. Baird Hall was first named after Betty. In 1989, it was named after both sisters.

Who is this building named after?

Images courtesy of Murphy Library Special Collections
Correct! Wrong!

Edith Cartwright returned to her alma mater to teach health in 1941. She became Dean of Women and retired in 1969.

Who is this hall named after?

Images courtesy of Murphy Library Special Collections
Correct! Wrong!

Anna Wentz taught biology from 1920-1948 at time when very few women went into the sciences.

Who is this hall named after?

Images courtesy of Murphy Library Special Collections
Correct! Wrong!

Emma Lou Wilder taught physical education on campus from 1921-1956. She believed in hard work and showing people that “if she could do it, they could do it.” Known for her pioneering work in women’s physical education, Wilder taught 25 different physical education courses, helped develop the women’s physical education curriculum and the recreation major. She was job placement director and adviser for women in physical education. Wilder enjoyed sports, especially ice skating, and was known for her fitness encouragement slogan of “Run a block, walk a block.” She was one of the founders of the La Crosse State Teacher’s College Foundation and earned the UWL Athletic Merit Award posthumously in 1982. She died July 30, 1980.

Who is this hall named after?

Images courtesy of Murphy Library Special Collections
Correct! Wrong!

Alice Drake taught English and rural education from 1931-62. She was chair of the Rural Education Department and later director of elementary education.

Who is this hall named after?

Images courtesy of Murphy Library Special Collections
Correct! Wrong!

Bessie Hutchison taught in the English Department from 1909-35. She was called "Hutch" by her students.