A complete renovation of the Wittich Hall’s interior will create a modern new home for UWL’s College of Business Administration. Work is underway inside Wittich with doors expected to reopen in July 2020.
In an effort to preserve the building’s historic character, architects plan to memorialize a suspended running track on the third floor of the building (seen here), preserve Maple wood floors in the building’s two gymnasiums, expose the building’s steel trusses and more. Wittich Hall, built in 1916 with an addition in 1931, is UWL’s second oldest building. It originally housed the university’s rising physical education program.
Compare what the facility looked like in February 2017 (prior to renovations) with work underway today.
Compare Wittich Hall in February 2017 during a gymnastics practice with this photo of La Crosse Normal School students in physical education training, ca. 1920. Historic image courtesy of Murphy Library Special Collections.