It’s been 18,250 days, but the Alumni Association is still going strong
When you turn 50, you’re often greeted with black balloons, obnoxious birthday cards and countless health remedies.
But when the UWL Alumni Association turns 50 this fall, expect maroon and gray balloons, campus trivia and a trip down memory lane with your college buds. Expect fun!
We’re talking Mr. D’s donuts. A visit to Third Street. Brunch. A beautiful fall afternoon at Memorial Field. And more!
The Alumni Association is just hitting its prime in its first half century, says Janie Morgan, ’85 & ’86, executive director of the group. It’s not only a time to look back, but also a time to look forward celebrating alumni.
“Yes, the Association is turning 50, but this is an opportunity for us to celebrate UWL alumni who have used their education to make the world a better place,” Morgan says.
All events are on campus, except for the Big Birthday Give Back — community service days in which alums are encouraged to volunteer in their area.
Don’t miss out on these great events planned:
Friday, Sept. 20 — Distinguished Alumni Awards panel, 2 p.m., Cleary Center
Saturday, Sept. 21 — Distinguished Alumni Awards Brunch and Ceremony, 9 a.m., Cleary Center
Friday, Sept. 27 — 35th Anniversary of the Alumni Band and 10th Anniversary of the Pompon practice for Oktoberfest’s Maple Leaf Parade.
Saturday, Sept. 28 — Maple Leaf Parade featuring Alumni Band and Poms, along with appearance of the Rose Bowl Band’s 50th anniversary.
All month — Big Birthday Give Back (community service projects nationwide)
Friday, Oct. 4 — Alumni Art Invitational opening reception, 4-6 p.m., University Art Gallery. Exhibit runs through Oct. 26
Friday, Oct. 25 —
•Wear Maroon Day
• Happy “Birthday” Hour Pub Crawl, 4-8 p.m.
• Friday Night Flick (Movie TBA), 7 p.m., Student Union Theatre
Saturday, Oct. 26 —
• Big Birthday Bash Brunch, 8-10 a.m. Cleary Center
• Campus Open House and Tours, 10 a.m.- noon, campus
• Art Alumni Invitational Last Blast, noon- 5 p.m., University Art Gallery
• Pre-game L-Club Tent, stadium Parking Lot
• Football: UWL vs. UW Oshkosh, 2 p.m. Roger Harring Stadium
• Homecoming for Heroes, 3:30-7 p.m., Mitchell Hall
• Football Reunion, TBA
• Wall of Fame Induction Ceremony, 7 p.m. Mitchell Hall
Get the latest on the Big Birthday Bash at: www.uwlax.edu/alumni/birthday