UWL’s more than 100-year history has many memorable moments, test what you know
So you think you know a lot about UW-La Crosse history? Test your knowledge with this quiz.
These questions were part of the first ever UWL Murphy Library Special Collections Trivia Night on Feb. 15. UWL senior and history major Rebekah Bain and Laura Godden, Special Collections historian/associate academic librarian, wrote the questions, while UWL senior Alicia Carlson, a marketing major, took the lead on the marketing and planning the event. Nearly all of the photos are courtesy of Murphy Library Special Collections.
A lot of the information for the trivia questions was found in the 2013 book, “We’ve Hung the Lantern: A Visual History of the First 50 Years of UW-La Crosse” by Leslie F. Crocker. Crocker is the winner of the 2018 Murphy Award and will be honored at a reception on Thursday, April 19, in UWL Murphy Library Special Collections.
1. What campus building was previously named North Hall?
The building is named after Carl Wimberly who worked at UWL for 50 years. Groundbreaking for the building was in 1972, and it was completed in 1974. It cost $3.2 million and came in over $1 million under budget.
2. What building now stands on a site once home to three residence halls (pictured), all named after influential UWL female faculty members?
All three residence halls were torn down in 2009 to make room for Centennial Hall. Recently, in 2016, three rooms in Eagle Hall were named after Emma Lou Wilder, Myrtle Trowbridge, Betty and Beatrice Baird.
3. Named after Thomas Morris, Wisconsin State Senator and Lt. Governor, Morris Hall was originally designed to be what when it opened in 1940?
Morris hall, built in 1939, had classrooms, a small theatre, library and a gym. The interior plan was typical for many K-8 schools at that time.
4. In 1952, the university needed extra housing and bought a nurses’ dormitory that formerly belonged to what hospital?
The building was originally built in 1921 as a nurses' dorm for the next door Grandview Hospital. UWL remodeled it in 1953 and 72 female students lived there.
5. True or False: Outdoor hot tub parties outside of UWL residence halls were at one time a common sight.
In 1990, there was a hot tub rental service that students often took advantage of, even in the winter!
6. True or False: Wimberly Hall was architecturally designed to be riot proof.
According to its architects, the layout is actually for ease of movement for large numbers of people.
7. True or False: Much like today, it was popular for UWL students in the 1920s to go to the Bodega in downtown La Crosse to drink beer.
For many years, the Bodega was more popular as a cafeteria-style restaurant than a drinking establishment. It started serving food, candy, and soda in 1920 to survive during Prohibition.
8. What famous sporting event did the marching band travel to in order to perform at halftime, but despite their efforts was unable to?
It took place at Lambeau Field. The Packers organization offered to pay for the Marching Chief's entire trip, from opening up campus buildings early so they could practice, to supplying the entire band with hotel rooms for the trip. "We all gave up most of our Christmas break and came back to school a few days after Christmas to start practicing," Bonsack said. The band practiced for 10 hours a day, and even practiced in single-digit temperatures. Note: The above marching band photo was not actually taken at the Ice Bowl.
9. In 1959, JFK spoke at Graff Main Hall while running for president. What was his job prior to becoming president?
When John F. Kennedy came to speak at UWL he was serving as a senator.
10. What does Goosetown Arch on the west side of campus commemorate?
11. After Don Herbert graduated from UWL in 1949, what science television show did he start?
Donald Herbert Kemske was the creator and host of "Watch Mr. Wizard" (1951–65, 1971–72) and of "Mr. Wizard's World" (1983–90 -- this show ran on Nickelodeon), which were educational television programs for children devoted to science and technology. His show was one of the first national broadcast TV programs and the first science-based programming.
12. The opening of this building prompted the booklift from Graff Main Hall pictured below.
Known as "Operation Booklift", UWL students moved the books from the old Main Hall Library to the new Florence Wing Library, which opened in 1957.
13. What does this plaque hung in Graff Main Hall commemorate?
This bronze plaque was dedicated in 1921, and the yearbook that year was dedicated to those who served and died. This year, it is the 100th anniversary of the end of WWI (the war to end all wars), fought from July, 28 1914 - Nov. 11, 1918.
14. In what annual event formerly held on the UWL campus are these people participating?
The first year Clown Camp was held at UWL was in 1981. It is no longer held at UWL, but it is an ongoing event.
15. These snow sculptures were created for what UWL event?
The winter carnival started as a citywide event in 1920.
16. The hanging of the lantern started in 1931 to signify what campus event?
English professor O. O. White conceived of the hanging of the lantern because he thought that UWL needed a distinctive and perpetual invitation for alumni at homecoming time. Inspired after reading "A Lantern in Her Hand" by Bess Streeter Aldrich, White mused over the meaning and symbolism behind beacons of light. He thought of Michael whose light burns in hope of his son’s return in the William Wordsworth’s poem “Michael,” he recalled the Statue of Liberty’s torch that guides ships to safety, and he remembered the perpetual flame that burns at the grave of the Unknown Soldier in Paris. Professor White concluded all these lights had one main purpose: encourage people to come home.
17. Before a vote was held for an official school mascot in 1937, what was one of the nicknames UWL students used for themselves and their sports’ teams?
The nickname came from the university's first name, State Normal School La Crosse. Other nicknames included, Hobos, Maroon and Grays, Maroons, the Keelerites (after the football team's head coach Tubby Keeler), and the Racqueteers.